Ask yourself this question – “How can I support my brain health today?”
Taking care of our body and brain can help us have the ultimate in life experiences and can empower us to make the best decisions on a daily basis.
Here is a video containing some great brain boosting tips:
Taking a hollistic perspective when working on improving health in any area always requires considering many different factors. Below are some lists of things to think about when trying to improve brain function or prevent conditions like dementia.
Daily lifestyle habits:
- managing blood pressure, blood sugar and stress.
- Consistent exercise
- Plenty of sleep
- Trying new activities or changing routines
- Staying connected to your social circle and community
Foods to consider adding to your diet:
- Fatty fish
- Green tea.
The 7 main foods to avoid:
- Sugary drinks
- Refined carbs
- Foods high in trans-fat
- Highly processed foods
- Fish high in mercury (shark, swordfish, grouper, sea bass).
Add to your daily cooking with this short list of brain boosting spices:
Last but not least, our favorite herbs to promote energy, clarity, focus and dementia prevention:
- Ginkgo biloba: Supports cognitive/brain activity by improving memory and focus and increases vascular dilation, blood flow and the health of blood vessels. Also known to help with common mood disorders such as anxiety and depression and decreasing symptoms caused by ear disorders such as hearing loss, dizziness and tinnitus.
- Gotu Kola: Well-known for its potential to improve cognition and sharpen memory. A study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease revealed that Gotu Kola may be able to improve memory at the molecular level by enhancing the activity of a pathway that is associated with long-term memory formation
- Ashwagandha: Contains powerful antioxidants that destroy the free radicals that cause aging. The herb was also able to improve attention, information processing speed and mental skills.
- Water Hyssop: Associated with learning, memory, concentration, and knowledge. Traditionally, people have used Water Hyssop to increase concentration and devotion to support a spiritual or meditative practice, and it is believed that ancient scholars utilized Water Hyssop as a nootropic to memorize extensive hymns and scriptures. Water hyssop offers antioxidant support to the brain and is thought to promote a healthy, thriving mind.
- Schizandra Berry: Can help prevent physical and chemical stress on the body. It improves mental and cognitive health, promotes longevity, protects the liver, reduces stress, improves cardiovascular health and improves blood flow and circulation.
- Skullcap: Known to relieve anxiety and is a popular herb to balance the hormones in your body, as it stimulates the release of endorphins and generally balances your mood. Skullcap was traditionally used for the relief from tension, stress, and anxiety. Its antioxidant content protects the brain and central nervous system from oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
- Periwinkle: The leaves and seeds of the periwinkle contain vincamine, a precursor to the chemical vinpocetine, which is a powerful free radical scavenger. Vinpocetine may also help to prevent senility and dementia by preventing damage to the blood vessels in the brain that are caused by free radicals. Vinpocetine boosts circulation to the brain and improves the brain’s ability to absorb nutrients that improve brain function.
- Chinese Ginseng: A powerful adaptogen that generates energy, improves immunity, stimulates blood flow, negates stress, and guards from early aging. Also known as Panax ginseng, it is thought in Oriental Medicine to have the yang qualities of warming, stimulating and energizing.
These 8 herbs are blended perfectly in our very popular BrainGlow.
You can get a single bottle of BrainGlow capsules right here.
Taking care of your brain requires putting thoughtful habits into place and then simply doing them. Realize the pure compound effect of what you do or don’t do on a daily basis.
Thank you for being on this beautiful life journey with us.
We love you,
Jane and The Barlow Herbal Team
* Please keep in mind I am not a doctor and this is not meant to be medical advice. All the information in this blog post is for educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the FDA. We are not making any claims about the efficacy of these products. These products and suggestions are not meant to prescribe, diagnose, prevent, treat, cure any disease or replace proper medical care. Please check with your doctor before taking any of these products.