During these times of heightened air pollution, it’s more important than ever to prioritize our respiratory health. Breathing in smoke and airborne pollutants can have significant implications for our well-being, particularly for individuals with pre-existing respiratory conditions or compromised immune systems.
Here are some quick tips for optimizing your lung health:
Exercise daily – Walk, run, hike, lift weights, dance, do yoga etc. Pay attention to air quality and move indoors if necessary.
Practice focused breath work – If you’re like many people, you take shallow breaths from your chest area using only a small portion of your lungs. Deep breathing helps clear the lungs and creates a full oxygen exchange. Be aware of your breath as you go through your day.
Stop smoking or vaping – For obvious reasons!
Eliminate processed foods – Alcohol, soda, sugar and mucus-forming dairy.
Easier said than done. Start with one at a time and enjoy the rapid rise in the way you feel.
Drink plenty of water and eat lots of fruits and vegetables – They contain nutrients that will nourish you and promote healing.
Prevent infections – Infections can be particularly problematic for your lungs and all the previous lifestyle tips along with some powerful herbals can help your lungs weather anything that comes your way.
If you or someone you love is caught in the bad air that is circulating from the forest fires here are my best tips for herbs to add right away:
- Respiratory Support: Osha Root acts as an expectorant, helping to relieve congestion and expel mucus from the respiratory tract. It may be useful in managing respiratory conditions such as colds, coughs, bronchitis, and even asthma.
- Immune System Boost: This herb possesses antimicrobial and antiviral properties that can aid in strengthening the immune system and defending against infections.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Osha Root exhibits anti-inflammatory properties, which may help alleviate inflammation in the respiratory system, reducing discomfort and supporting overall respiratory well-being.
Lungwort: Nurturing the Lungs
- Lung Health Support: Lungwort is known for its potential to soothe respiratory tissues, promote healthy lung function, and assist in clearing excessive mucus.
- Antioxidant Activity: Rich in antioxidants, lungwort helps protect lung cells from oxidative stress, reducing damage caused by free radicals.
- Respiratory Allergies: Lungwort may provide relief from respiratory allergies by calming inflammation and alleviating symptoms such as coughing and congestion.
Lobelia: The Respiratory Rescuer
- Bronchial Relaxation: Lobelia is renowned for its ability to relax the bronchial passages, easing breathing and providing relief from respiratory distress.
- Smoking Cessation Aid: Due to its impact on the respiratory system, Lobelia is often used as an aid in quitting smoking by reducing nicotine cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- c) Respiratory Spasms: This herb can help alleviate respiratory spasms, making it valuable in managing conditions like asthma and bronchitis.
Mullein Leaf: The Gentle Lung Healer
- Soothing Cough Relief: Mullein Leaf possesses expectorant properties, helping to calm coughs and ease respiratory irritation.
- Mucus Reduction: This herb can assist in breaking down and expelling excessive mucus, making it potentially beneficial for individuals dealing with congestion and respiratory conditions.
- Anti-Inflammatory Action: Mullein Leaf’s anti-inflammatory properties contribute to reducing inflammation in the respiratory tract, supporting healthy lung function.
Plantain Leaf: A Respiratory Ally
- Respiratory Cleansing: The herb aids in expelling toxins and irritants from the lungs, supporting overall respiratory health.
- Allergy Relief: Plantain Leaf’s anti-inflammatory properties may help alleviate respiratory allergies by reducing inflammation and soothing associated symptoms.
Peppermint Leaf: A Breath of Freshness
- Respiratory Relaxation: Peppermint Leaf’s menthol content can help relax the muscles of the respiratory system, promoting easy breathing and alleviating congestion.
- Sinus Congestion Relief: The herb’s cooling properties make it a popular choice for managing sinus congestion, as it helps open up nasal passages and provides a sense of relief.
- Enhanced Mental Focus: Peppermint Leaf’s invigorating scent has been shown to improve alertness and mental focus, promoting overall well-being.
These herbs can be used alone, but they are also incredibly synergistic. You can find them together all in our beautiful Lung Blend Formula.
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind I am not a doctor and this is not meant to be medical advice. All the information on this website is for educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the FDA. We are not making any claims about the efficacy of these products. This information, these products and our suggestions are not meant to prescribe, diagnose, prevent, treat, cure any disease or replace proper medical care. Please check with your doctor before taking any of these products.